Pessimism – not believing anything is possible – is the kind of negativity that always finds a way to crawl into your life.
And just like cropped-up feelings, negativity can build up until it becomes overwhelming or sticks out its ugly head just a bit often, becoming an obstacle you have to overcome.
Having a negative attitude or simply being negative all the time will hold you back from living your life with joy. But, there’s no reason to feel constricted because you can take some steps to bring positive thoughts back into your life!
The monster called Negativity
Like in a bad dream when you just can get to run away, negativity can restrain you in quite a few ways. You must have heard (or read) the saying: “If you think you can’t, you’re right”? That’s how negative thoughts sabotage you.
However, there is good news ‒ it is quite easy to regain control over your thinking. When all you can ever come up with are excuses, complaints, denial and other forms of negativity, it doesn’t only affect you, but also people around you.
Adopt A Positive Attitude
When you start displaying a positive attitude, the wonderful world of possibilities opens up for you. With positive energy all around, you will be able to alter your negative state of mind and possibly even bring a bit more enthusiasm to others.
It might not sound possible – not even remotely – by positive thinking is extremely powerful. It might be just the motivating force you need to steer your life all they way to fulfilling your dreams. How you think affects how you feel, and how you feel affects how you do things.
It’s simple maths – the sooner you change your (negative) thoughts, you sooner can start changing the outcome.
5 Easy Ways to Develop A Positive Attitude
Is it possible to change your attitude? It’s easier than you think.
Here are five easy steps to help you develop a positive attitude:
- Picture this ‒ when negative thoughts make their way into your mind, transform them with positive images. Don’t always expect the worst – imagine the best possibilities imaginable. Visualize things you find pleasing, peaceful, or exciting. Recall your ultimate dream and goals and imagine what it would feel like when you achieve them.
- Pen it. Always ‒ ALWAYS – write it down (on paper, or using software). Keeping a journal is something that has many positive effects. It gives you a channel to escape your frustrations, get your daily life organized and reflect on your innermost thoughts, feelings and secrets. Stop focusing on the bad ‒ use your journal to keep track of the things that have gone well in your life.
- Negative feelings pop up more when you’re stressed out. Take time out of your day to be alone with your thoughts. Adopt a relaxation method that gets your positive juices flowing. Go for a walk, take a shower, relax in a bath, go to church, attend a yoga or Pilates class, or simply find a quiet spot and meditate.
- Use affirmations. Read books or blogs or magazines containing positive affirmations, or – even better – write your own. Positive affirmations are very powerful to help you start having positive thoughts. Affirmations ‒ short statements or one-liners in the present tense – can help remind you of positive attributes and goals in your life. This can be a good example: “I am strong and competent.”
- Live full-out. Live your life for the moment and let go of anything negative going on in your life. Reminding yourself constantly of everything negative in your life can easily overwhelm you if you are consumed by past failures or problems, or fear of the unknown in your future. Concentrating on the present will help you make your life more peaceful and ultimately positive.
Remember to go easy on yourself. Don’t be your own worst enemy. Rather try being your biggest advocate! Just concentrate on your well-being and you will develop a more positive attitude.