It is common to give free rein to your hopes and dreams, and sooner or later you will dream of something much bigger and better ‒ not only in your private life, but also your career. Regardless of how cozy and jammy any job you’re in may seem, you might just find yourself wishing you were doing something else, working somewhere nicer with better work conditions and more pay.
Well, there is good news ‒ and that is that you can go out and make your dream job an absolute reality! You just need to do it ‒ whatever field you’re qualified or experienced in, you can find a way to turn something that you really enjoy doing into a very lucrative new career.
Here are some easy tips to follow that can get you on your way to a considerable happier and much less stressful work life:
- Start by asking yourself what it is that you really want to do? “What do I want to do that makes me happy?” A great way to achieve whatever dream you have is to find something to work with that you already enjoy doing, and then make a career out of it. This way doesn’t really feel like a job ‒ you will be earning a living doing something you are excited doing anyway.
- The jewel of this is that you can earn a living doing this. Nothing feels better than the privilege of getting paid to do what you do for fun! And to sum it up: that is the basic concept of a real-life dream job.
- Secondly, untangle it and break it down into small steps. It can sometimes be overwhelming and intimidating to look at the big picture. But just like eating a one-pound steak, breaking it down into smaller pieces or a series of small steps, it becomes so much less daunting and a great deal easier to manage it al as you develop the concept and move forward.
- This is something that will definitely boost your self-confidence. Completing one step at a time will leave you feeling proud in the knowledge that you have completed it. The realization that you are actually going out and doing what you set your mind on will also enhance that warm feeling of pride and confidence in yourself.
- Crawl before you walk – and don’t be scared to climb the ladder from the bottom step. It will involve some elbow grease, probably with a bit of grunt work in the beginning ‒ regardless of what field you work in. See it as some sort of initiation ritual. Even if it’s an entry or lower end job at the dream company you really wanted to work for, see it as a way of getting your foot in the door. If this is the job you longed for, it won’t be long before you make your way up the corporate ladder.
- Find someone to teach and mentor you. Having a mentor can be a very satisfying feeling. They can be very helpful when it comes to getting the job you have been longing after. They have a dual purpose of not only showing you the ropes and helping you learn the skills you need, but also act as a great reference for the day that the big moment arrives.
- If you are battling to find a suitable mentor, look for someone else ‒ a good role model or an icon will do the same. If for instance you want to become an actor or actress on stage or in front of the cameras, try mimicking the footsteps of your favorite theatrical performer or Hollywood star.
- Give pessimists the cold shoulder. Depending on the field you wish to work in, you might receive some negative feedback from those who believe you cannot do it ‒ even among friends and family. Whether you want to try your hand at writing a novel or aim to work for NASA, the cynics may ask you what your “real” job actually is, or you may be jealously reminded of how unlikely it is that you might land such a job. Ignore it ‒ put it all aside.
- Remember that your goal is in the realm of possibility, even if it is going to take some doing to break into the field. New writers come to the fore on a daily basis; their books getting published all the time, and every month more than just a few new staff report at NASA.
- When situations such as these cross your path, just remind yourself that it is something that you really want to do. Think of all the advantages and benefits you will get to enjoy when you succeed. As far as aspiring novelists go, just think how exhilarating it will be to one day hold that copy of your own book in your hand, or even signing autographs at your own book launch!
Your dream job might be a hill to climb, but it is very possible to reach it, no matter how patronizing.
However, if you do put in the effort and follow some simple guidelines, you should find yourself earning your bread enjoying the dream job you always desired.
Sometimes it is also possible to make all your dreams come true ‒ by becoming your own boss.
If you would like to learn more about becoming your own boss…