All of us who are not beach bums, probably have busy lives. More often than not we are so occupied chasing after daily tasks and responsibilities that we either forget to or simply don’t have time to do the things that bring us happiness and joy.
Unfortunately, a lack of bliss in your everyday life will make you grumpy and can cause unhappiness. It can also cost you your health in the long term.
Scientists have studied – and proven – that positive emotions, like having fun and living a joyful life, have a profound effect on your well-being.
One of these studies, called “Positive Emotion and Health: Going Beyond the Negative,” was recently published in the magazine Health Psychology. This study found the following:
- Joy and optimism reduced heart disease among men who were followed for 10 years during the study by over 50%.
- Living a life filled with positive emotions like joy and hope not only showed less heart disease, but also showed less instance of high blood pressure, diabetes and lung infections.
However, regardless of how busy your life may be, there are a few things you can do to instantaneously enhance your mood and your health.
Here are three easy ways to bring some joy back into your daily life:
- Take some time every day to appreciate and enjoy the things you love. When your energy starts dwindling, take a break and focus on something that relaxes you.
- Take some short “joy breaks” during the day and it will instantly lift your mood and help you get rid of stress while you recharge your energy.
- Simply enjoying a cup of good coffee or chatting with someone whose company you enjoy – even if you have to call them – can bring you joy.
- Remember to take some time each day to focus on those simple activities that make you feel happier like calling your mom or someone…
- Be grateful for what you have. If things are not going your way, you might find yourself focusing on the negative aspects of the day. Rather try to focus on all the things in your life that you should be happy about and be thankful for.
- Being grateful and expressing gratitude are very powerful emotions. If things are not going your way for now, think about the better times of the past and all that are currently going well in your life – and there will be some. This will instantly lift your spirit and keep you working towards your goals.
- Keep a “thank-you journal” or a “blessings book” for a physical record of all the good things in your life. This will remind you of everything that did work out and lift you up and encourage you during difficult times.
- Be somewhat daring and do something new. The old saying “familiarity breeds contempt” rings true when it comes to our busy daily lives. So, why don’t you do something completely different get back on track?
- You are only limited by your imagination ‒ or a lack of it. To get going, take a new route to and from work. Try leaving at a different time. Beat the traffic by stopping for something to eat or drink. Start your day with a different routine, or try your hand at a new recipe with a novel ingredient. Swop your favorite drink for something new – the possibilities are endless.
- Take up a new skill or a different hobby. Try something new by recalling the dreams you’ve had as a child or younger adult. Was it maybe one of traveling to a faraway country? How about learning that country’s language, reading up on their culture, trying out some of their recipes… And then, plan a trip and go there.
Never forget to make time for fun and laughter throughout your day. Go watch a live show. Eat out with friends.
You won’t only rediscover your joy, strengthen your health and improve your happiness, but your positive energy and outlook on life will affect those around you and give them a boost as well!